Disclaimer: The author of this fanfiction does not, in any way, profit from the story. All creative rights to the characters belong to their original creator(s).

Desert

by Pout

Desert -- a dry, barren wasteland; to forsake or abandon; something that is deserved or merited.

* * *

They were sixteen now, and there were two not three, as perhaps there should have been.

Sakura twirled a lock of hair around her finger and stared off into the distance, barely noticing the sinking of the sun. “I’m sorry, Naruto. But, I just could never deserve you. You’re great. You should have someone better than me.”

“Isn’t that for me to decide?”

“No, not really. After all, I only have your best interests in mind; I’m your friend.”

I wish you weren’t, then. “I don’t think there is anyone better.”

“If you’d stop and actually take a look around, you’d see that there are plenty of other people who are much better than me. Honestly! I’m thinking maybe I should go get myself a boyfriend. Maybe that would help.”

“No. No, it wouldn’t. Please don’t.”

“See? You’re always so sad when you talk to me.”

“That’s because you’re always rejecting me.”

“Well, that’s not my fault. You should stop asking.”

Naruto flicked a pebble over the ledge and frowned because he felt dry inside. It wasn’t about who wasn’t there. Perhaps, that was what hurt the most.


If you would like to provide feedback on this story, please feel free to e-mail me at: poutonly@gmail.com.