Disclaimer: The author of this fanfiction does not, in any way, profit from the story. All creative rights to the characters belong to their original creator(s).

Love's an Itch

by Pout

When Gwendal picked up a girlfriend for the first time in nearly 80 years, Conrad was optimistic, Wolfram was skeptical, Yuuri was happy, and Günter was itchy.

“That’s to be expected,” Annisina explained very matter-of-factly. “Given their history, it’s only natural for a former lover to harbor repressed feelings. Feelings which, in this case, have decided to manifest in the form of a phantom rash.”

Günter scratched at his elbow and said indignantly, “I don’t have any “repressed feelings.” That was a long time ago.”

“Eh? What was a long time ago?” Wolfram asked, his curiosity piqued.

Günter sighed and shut his eyes eloquently, only to ruin the effect by scowling and itching madly at his left shoulder.

“Gwendal and Günter are soul mates,” Annisina clarified.

Günter made the face of one long used to such taunting. “We were only together for a short time.”

“Two years,” Annisina said.

“Two years?” Wolfram cried.

“No way!” was Yuuri’s contribution.

Even Conrad looked somewhat surprised. “When did this happen?” he asked as he categorically searched through his vast memory banks for any sign of such a shocking coupling.

Günter waved his non-scratching hand at them dismissively and shook his head, refusing to say more. “Can we please focus? I would like to stop itching, and soon. This is driving me crazy!”

“There’s only one solution,” Annisina declared in a tone that brooked no argument, “and that is to declare your undying love for your destined one.”

“If by “destined one” you mean Gwendal, then I’d have to say you are gravely mistaken. This is obviously some kind of magical curse.”

“You’re lovesick.”

Günter took to ignoring her completely, turning to his former student instead, “Conrad, do you know if there have been any threats lately, or if-”

“Two years? That’s a long time,” Conrad said. “How come I never heard anything about it?”

Günter hmphed and answered, “You were just a baby. Now, about-”

“Seriously? You two were together even before I was born? That’s crazy! So what happened?” Wolfram asked. “How did it end?”

“Oh, that was the stupidest break up in the history of the demon world,” Annisina complained.

“It was a mutual decision,” Günter hissed.

“Which is why I can say with absolute certainty that they are definitely meant for one another,” Annisina concluded with a touch of finality.

“Arg! Never mind! I’ll find the cure myself!” And with that, Günter went stomping off towards the dungeons, still itching his left shoulder.

“See?” Annisina said once the door shut behind him, “Definitely soul mates.”

Two and a half weeks later, Gwendal broke up with his girlfriend, Günter stopped scratching, and everyone else began to match-make.


If you would like to provide feedback on this story, please feel free to e-mail me at: poutonly@gmail.com.